Strawberries add a touch of magic to the taste of summer. From their ripe heart shaped exterior to the succulent juiciness of that first bite, they evoke everything that's good about sunny days. As well as looking good, they do you good! And they’re available now in a Virgin Active lounge near you.
Now we can feast on strawberries whatever the weather, knowing they’ve achieved celebrity fruit status as a Superfood. Low fat, high fibre and packed with Vitamin C, strawberries are a non-guilty pleasure. So whether it’s watching Wimbledon, part of a picnic or topping off a cocktail – enjoy!
Ten top strawberry facts (they’re berry good for you!)
- Strawberries are the only fruit to have their seeds on the outside.
- An average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- Five strawberries have more vitamin C than an orange.
- 100g of strawberries is just 50 calories and zero fat.
- Belgium has a strawberry museum or rather - Musée de la Fraise.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- According to folklore, if you share a double strawberry with the opposite sex, you’ll fall in love.
- Strawberries are high in vitamin C, fibre, folic acid and potassium.
- You can freeze strawberries but puree them with (a little) sugar first.
- Strawberry is from the Old English ‘streowberie’ or ‘streawbelige.’ The origin is uncertain, either from the ‘straw’ used to keep them fresh or because they spread their runners, hence ‘strewed.’