Hang in there...
All Virgin Active members (“Members”), guests, and those periodically visiting (together “you”) a Virgin Active club in operation in the UK (a “Club”) must comply with these Rules. These Rules are incorporated into a Member’s Contract with us, and compliance with these Rules is important both to maintain the standards at our Clubs and to enable Members to get full enjoyment from their Membership.
Any person who does not comply with these Rules may be ejected from, or denied access to a Club, or may have their Membership terminated by Virgin Active if the non-compliance is serious.
Each of our Clubs also has their own operational rules (on display in various parts of
the Club) which you must also comply with. We reserve the right to make reasonable amendments to these Rules, or our individual Club operational rules, at any time. If we do this, we will give Members
reasonable advance notice by placing the new Rules on a notice board at each Club.
In these Rules, “Virgin Active”, “us”, “we” or “our” means Virgin Active trading through any Virgin group company. Words and phrases in these Rules have the same meanings as given in our Membership Terms & Conditions, unless specified otherwise.
1. Acceptance of an application for Membership at each Club is at our absolute discretion (although we will exercise our discretion reasonably, and in compliance with applicable laws).
2. Membership entitles Members to use the facilities available from time to time at their Home Club. We offer different types of Memberships and facilities at each Club, and the types of memberships and facilities offered by us will differ from Club to Club, and may change from time to time.
3. You should contact your Home Club if you would like further details of different types of Virgin Active Memberships that are available. Each category of Membership has different restrictions, conditions, and benefits. Another category of Membership or Club may be of interest to you if your requirements or circumstances change.
MEMBERSHIP CARD AND RFID
4. A Membership Card will be issued to each Member when they join a Club and, in relation to Clubs incorporating RFID technology, an RFID wristband.
5. There is a fee of £5 for replacement of lost, stolen, or damaged cards or RFID wristbands.
6. Each Member must have his/her card swiped for security and verification on each visit to a Club before proceeding into the Club. Any Member attending a Club without a valid Membership Card may be asked for proof of identification.
7. A Member must not lend his Membership Card or RFID wristband to anyone else as membership is personal and covers only the Member’s use of a Club.
8. On termination of membership, for any reason, the Member is required to surrender his Membership Card and (where applicable) TGS key and RFID wristband to Virgin Active at his or her Home Club.
9. Where Virgin Active terminates a Member’s membership, this will make the Member ineligible for membership at all Virgin Active Clubs. For this purpose, Virgin Active will communicate such Member’s personal data, and reason for termination, to other Clubs as may be necessary to administer this Rule.
GUESTS AND VISITORS
10. Members (over the age of 18) may bring guests to a Club upon payment of: (a) the guest fee, as set out in the relevant Club price list current at the time of the guest’s visit charged by the Club; and (b) completion of a Pre-Activity Questionnaire by the guest. In the few clubs where non members are permitted without an accompanying Member, these visitors must pay the relevant visitor fee and complete a Pre Activity Questionnaire, unless local authority rules prevail.
11. Members must accompany their guest at all times, and the Member who brings the guest remains responsible for their guest’s conduct whilst they are in a Club. The Member may not leave that Club prior to their guest’s departure.
12. Certain former Members, persons who have applied for Memberships but have been rejected, and former Members of staff, may be ineligible to be a Member, or guest, of a Club. If in doubt, the Member should check with a Club’s management for advice.
13. A Member who has “frozen” his/her Membership will not be allowed access to any Club (including as a guest).
14. Members must ensure their guests pay the appropriate guest fee, or surrender a valid guest pass (if applicable) before accompanying them into a Club.
15. Members must ensure that their guests comply with these Rules.
16. A person may be allowed to enter as a visitor to a Club by prior arrangement or appointment, subject to Virgin Active’s absolute discretion - and may be required to pay the guest fee (as set out in the relevant Club price list, current at the time of visit). At all times, visitors must complete a Pre-Activity Questionnaire.
17. Opening times for a Club will be prominently displayed at the relevant Club.
18. Pool, spa, sauna and steam facilities will close 15 minutes before the advertised closing time to allow members time to change. All other facilities (including the gym floor) will remain open until the advertised closing time.
19. You may not bring pets (other than guide dogs) onto the Club premises.
20. You must not take any photography or movie shots in any Club (including by use of a camera on a mobile phone or PDA).
21. We reserve the right to use any individual or group photographs or movie shots of you for press or promotional purposes. However, where reasonably possible, we will ask you to sign a use of image rights form (a “Virgin Active photography reproduction authorisation form”) to consent to this usage.
22. You must not consume any food or drink in a Club that you have brought in from outside the Club.
23. We reserve the right to show potential Members and other individuals the facilities of a Club on a trial basis.
24. You must complete a Pre-Activity Questionnaire before using any fitness facilities.
25. You should seek instruction before using unfamiliar equipment.
26. Appropriate clean exercise clothing and shoes must be worn whilst exercising.
27. Gymnasium equipment must not be used for longer than 15 minutes during busy periods.
28. You are asked to wipe down gymnasium equipment after use.
29. You are asked to arrive at the gymnasium five (5) minutes prior to any personal training or induction appointments. We reserve the right to refuse to re-book an appointment for you if you repeatedly cancel (with less than 24 hours notice) or fail to keep an appointment for services and/or exercise programmes.
30. You may not use the gymnasium while under the influence of alcohol, anticoagulants,
antihistamines, beta-blockers, narcotics, tranquilizers or any medication or other
substance which may affect your ability to exercise safely.
31. You must pre-book classes to ensure your participation in them.
32. Class timetables and instructors are subject to change from time to time without notice.
33. You are requested not to open the doors while a class is in progress, as this may interfere with the operation of the air-conditioning system and disrupt other participants.
34. In order to avoid disturbing classes, you are requested to arrive in good time. Entrance to classes will be barred to anyone arriving more than five (5) minutes late.
35. Where, in the opinion of an instructor, a class is overcrowded, the instructor may restrict the number of attendees in the class.
36. An instructor may, at any time, ask you to leave a class if you are jeopardising the safety or enjoyment of others.
37. We reserve the right to limit your participation to only one exercise class per day.
BEHAVIOUR & DRESS
38. You should conduct yourself in a quiet and well-mannered fashion when in or about a Club, and in a manner that will not disturb or impair the use and enjoyment of that Club by any other person. In particular you may not use foul, loud, or abusive language, nor will you behave in a threatening manner. nor will you molest, or harass, other Members, guests, visitors, or Members of staff. You may not bring, use, or be under the influence of illegal drugs in any part of a Club. You may not bring any intoxicating
liquor into a Club or be drunk in a Club.
39. We may terminate your Virgin Active Membership (if applicable) and may refuse you entry into a Club, or eject you from a Club, if you commit a serious or repeated breach of these Rules, your Membership contract (if applicable), or if you engage in any other serious misconduct.
40. Members of a Club, their guests, visitors, and members of staff should at all times display mutual respect for each other.
41. Complaints should be communicated privately to a member of the relevant Club’s management, or in writing through the suggestion/comments boxes provided in the club’s, or by post to the Club’s General Manager.
42. Smoking is prohibited in any area of the club including the use of e-cigarettes or similar devices.
43. You must be dressed in suitable attire at all times when on Club premises, and appropriate exercise clothing is required whilst exercising in a Club. Guidance as to suitable attire may be obtained from the Club General Manager who may, at his/her discretion, require you to leave a Club premises or part of a Club premises, if your attire is not considered suitable.
44. Only one individual is permitted in a shower cubicle at any one time (with the exception of a parent or guardian who may take his/her own child aged up to 8 years into a shower cubicle with him/her).
45. Members are respectfully requested to store coats and rucksacks in the lockers provided.
46. Lockers are made available subject to availability. Virgin Active does not undertake that use of a locker will guarantee that no theft of or damage to your property will occur. We will not accept any liability in relation to locker thefts unless they result from our negligence. You should check that your household contents or other insurance policy protects you against any risk of theft.
47. Lockers may only be used for the purposes of keeping gym kit, toiletries, and the clothing that you were wearing when you came to a Club. The keeping of any other items in a Club’s lockers is prohibited. If Virgin Active has reasonable grounds to suspect that a locker is being used in breach of this Rule, Virgin Active reserves the right to open the locker in question (by force if necessary) and remove any offending items.
48. With the exception of any designated private lockers, lockers are available for use only while you are on a Club’s premises. Use of a locker (other than any designated private lockers) while not on Club premises is prohibited. If you leave your belongings overnight in a locker (other than in any designated private locker), Virgin Active reserves the right to open the locker (by force if necessary) and remove your belongings.
49. Your belongings, so removed, will be available for collection from the relevant Club’s Reception for a period of thirty (30) days, upon payment of the prevailing holding charge. If you do not collect your belongings within thirty (30) days, your belongings may be donated to charity.
50. If you rent a designated private locker (if available), and if the rental fees in respect of that locker remain unpaid for more than one (1) month after the date due for payment, Virgin Active reserves the right to open the locker (by force if necessary) and remove your belongings. Your belongings, so removed, will be available for collection from the relevant Club’s reception for a period of thirty (30) days
upon payment by you of the unpaid fees along with the reasonable prevailing administration charge. If you do not collect your belongings within thirty (30) days, your belongings may be donated to charity.
51. Where available lockers and locker keys remain the property of a Club and locker keys must not be taken from that Club’s premises at any time.
52. Our car parks (if your club has one) may only be used by Members, guests, and visitors while they are on Club premises. You may not leave your car in our car parks at any other time (for example, you may not leave it there following a Club visit while you go shopping elsewhere).
53. No unauthorised parking is permitted on Club premises. Where car parking spaces are designated for use by Members, cars must be parked properly in such spaces or they will be clamped and a fee may be charged (where applicable) for removal of the clamp.
SWIMMING POOL AND SPA AREA
54. For reasons of health, safety and hygiene you must:
(a) obey the instructions of our lifeguards;
(b) always shower before entering the sauna, sanarium, steam room, jacuzzi or swimming pool;
(c) not consume, store, or bring into the changing rooms or swimming pool area, any food or drink or any kind of glass container;
(d) only shave in the wash basins provided;
(e) not attempt to dry clothes or towels in the sauna or sanarium;
(f) not bring sauna oils or essences, cosmetic products, newspapers/magazines/books or other flammable materials into the sauna or sanarium as these constitute a serious fire hazard.
(g) not bring oils or essences to the steam room either as pouring them on the steam outlet will create a burn hazard.
55. Each Club’s management reserves the right to limit you to 20 minutes in the swimming pool if it is busy.
56. You must: (a) wear long hair tied up, or in a swimming cap whilst in the swimming pool; (b) not run around, jump or dive into the swimming pool; (c) comply with any swimming direction posted in the swimming pool area; (d) wear conventional swimming costumes only.
57. No balls, floats, or inflatables are permitted in the swimming pool area other than those provided by a Club. Buoyancy aids are permitted.
58. The swimming pool areas may from time to time be reserved for adults only, swimmers only, or swimming lessons. Prior notice will be displayed on Club notice boards.
59. Heads should never be submerged in the jacuzzi.
60. You may not use the saunas, steam rooms or jacuzzi while under the influence of alcohol, anticoagulants, antihistamines, beta-blockers, narcotics, or tranquillisers. If you have high or low blood pressure, heart disease, cardiac irregularities, asthma and/or diabetes, or if you are pregnant you should consult your doctor prior to using our Club facilities.
61. You should use the steam room, sauna, swimming pool and jacuzzi (where applicable) in moderation and under medical advice.
62. When using the unisex steam room and/or sauna, you are requested to wear swimming attire.
63. You must comply with the written guidelines posted around the vicinity of the sunbeds and seek advice from our staff and/or a Doctor. Under 18’s are not permitted to use the sunbeds.
64. You are required to complete a medical questionnaire prior to usage.
65. A Club may request that you complete a sunbed appointment record prior to your first sunbed session, and for all subsequent sessions at that Club.
66. In the interests of safety, goggles must be worn while using the sunbeds. 67. You are requested to clean the sunbeds, before and after use, with the cleaning materials provided.
HEALTH & SAFETY
68. You must use the main entrance to a Club when entering or leaving that Club.
69. Fire exits, which are clearly marked, are there in the interests of safety and you must not interfere with fire doors for any reason.
70. You must read the health & safety notices posted outside any equipment or facility rooms in a Club and comply with their recommendations.
71. You must comply with any reasonable requests made by the members of staff in relation to matters of health and safety.
72. Only certain clubs offer Child Memberships. The rules relating to children therefore only apply to those clubs. Child Members, under the age of 16, must be under direct adult supervision at all times, unless involved in organised children’s activities, or supervised within Club-V or Active Academy.
73. Child Members may only be brought into a Club if accompanied by their Parent, legal guardian, or any other person who has been registered with us as someone who may bring the Child Member into the Club and take responsibility for them.
74. Club-V openings times (where applicable) are posted within a Club and may vary on occasion. A Member may be asked to remove his/her child from Club-V, if, in the opinion of Club-V management, the child is upset, ill, or is causing problems for Club-V staff.
75. Child Members, under the age of 9, may change in either sex changing room, under supervision, and in designated areas only. Child Members aged 9-15 years must change in designated areas, under supervision, in the changing room of their own sex.
SWIMMING POOL AREA
76. Child Members aged under the age of 16 may not use the jacuzzi, spa, sauna or steam facilities.
77. The ages of children allowed to use the pool vary from club to club. Please ask the relevant club for details.
78. Where children are allowed to use the swimming pool the following rules apply:
(a) Children may only use the swimming pool between the times posted within the Club, and these may vary on occasion. Please ask in club for details.
(b) Where children are under the age of eight years of age we operate strict adult-to-child ratios. Please ask in club for details.
(c) Adults are responsible for the active and constant supervision of their children while they’re in or around any depth of pool water.
(d) Adults may leave their children aged 8-15 in the swimming pool as long as the pool is lifeguarded, it is advertised as family swim time and the child has passed the advance shark test. The adult then may use the rest of the clubs facilities but must not leave the club at any time.
GYMNASIUM & CLASSES
79. Children over the age of 10 may take part in the Active Academy programme and activities as advertised per club
80. Parents or guardians are required to complete registration forms for all children before access to the crèche is permitted.
81. Parents or guardians should allow adequate time to sign in and settle their children.
82. Parents or Guardians must remain on site at a Club at all times while their children are in Club-V activities including creche, unless their child is registered as a Day Nursery or Day Camp Child. If your child is registered as a Day Nursery or Day Camp Child, once their child has been registered by the Club-V staff for their visit, you may then leave the premises.
83. Parents or guardians must provide all nappies, wipes, and drinks required during the child’s visit.
84. Parents or guardians who leave their children in a crèche must also collect them in person. Another person may only collect a child from the crèche when specific arrangements have been made, and agreed, with a Club’s crèche for the child concerned.
85. Children must not be brought into a Club-V if suffering from any infectious illness or condition such as vomiting or diarrhoea. Please refer to the Club-V Illness Policy for further details.
86. Parents or guardians must ensure that children are appropriately dressed.
87. Parents or guardians must inform a member of staff if their children have special needs.
BOOKINGS & ARRIVALS
88. Class bookings
(a) Advance bookings are needed to secure places for all our classes. If you have not booked, Reception will be able to let you know if spaces are available.
(b) Classes can be booked up to 7 days in advance.
(c) Before starting a class, you’ll need to swipe in at Reception.
(d) Before doing a session, check that your Tencap rating is appropriate for it. If you do not have a Tencap rating, please speak to one of our Racquets team.
89. Court bookings
(a) All courts need to be booked before you play to secure them.
(b) We accept a maximum of one booking per member per phone call.
(c) Outdoor courts can only be booked on the day.
(d) We (the club) can reserve courts for tournaments, events and promotional activities at any time. We will try to give advance notice of this, but may not always be able to.
90. Arrival for courts
(a) On arrival, swipe in at Reception and we’ll give you your court number.
(b) If you don’t swipe in, there may be a no-show charge (see club tariff).
(c) You have 15 minutes from the start of your booked slot to claim your court, after which time the court will be made available to others.
(d) If all courts are booked but you spot an empty one, you can claim it by speaking to Reception 15 minutes after the beginning of its unclaimed booking.
(e) If you finish before your booked slot
(a) If you cancel more than 24 hours beforehand, there will be no charge.
(b) If you cancel less than 24 hours beforehand, there will be a charge (see club tariff).
(c) If you simply don’t turn up, a no-show fee will be charged (see club tariff).
(d) If you persistently fail to turn up, your booking rights may be suspended.
(a) If you cancel more than 48 hours beforehand, there will be no charge.
(b) If you cancel less than 48 hours beforehand, the full lesson price will be charged.
DRESS CODE & ETIQUETTE
(a) We don’t operate an all-white clothing policy, but only recognised racquets attire should be worn - so no football shirts, Bermuda shorts, Lycra, swimwear or denim please.
(b) Only non-marking shoes can be worn on our indoor courts.
(c) You’ll need recognised tennis shoes for our outdoor courts – black-soled shoes, plimsolls and trainers aren’t allowed as they damage the court surface.
(d) If you’re unsure about your attire, just speak to one of our Racquets Team.
(a) Please don’t bring mobiles, iPads or similar on court with you.
(b) Please only bring drinks on court if they’re in a sealed plastic container.
(c) No food should be brought on court.
(d) Before playing, please wait for game point to finish before walking on court (or walking across courts to reach your own).
(e) For all on-court timekeeping purposes, refer to our tennis-hall clocks.