Deeper than downward dog
Keeping up with the hectic pace of work or succumbing to the omni-beeping of your phone can easily lead to anxiety and stress, polluting positive mindsets and giving our mood an unfriendly nudge. At times we become wired, disconnected and out of control.
It happens all the time and is even worse when we don't have time to escape the grind. But 10-minutes is enough to reclaim your mindset – just find a quiet place for your headspace.
Here are Simon Avis's, Yogi and meditation coach, top five tips.
1. Choose a regular time to meditate and stick to it. It will create a habit and you’ll be more likely to commit to the practice. Typically, first thing in the morning or just before going to sleep is ideal and easiest to stick to.
2. Start slowly and increase over time. People usually overcomplicate it and give up because it feels too difficult or demanding, leaving you feeling worse.
3. Never try to empty the mind. There is no right or wrong way to meditate. It’s easier to observe our thoughts passing through than it is to stop them completely. Over time thoughts will lessen as the mind finds stillness more easily.
4. If you find it difficult to silence the mind then try a guided meditation. Look on Youtube or apps such as Headspace are a good place to start.
5. Try a guided meditation class. We offer a wide range of classes focused on Mindfulness to Yoga Nidra, a deeply relaxing practice for both body and mind.
Find Simon teaching Yoga across London or guiding meditations at Mayfair, Tuesdays 5:25pm.