Learning the ropes
What are they?
Giant, heavy ropes, usually anchored to the wall. Weighing up to 20kg, they work every muscle in your body and give you a killer cardio workout, with none of the strain of high-impact exercise.
What are they for?
Strengthening and toning your whole body – especially your abs, arms, shoulders legs – while giving your joints a break. And working your heart and lungs.
Who are they for?
Anyone looking for a muscle-building, calorie-melting, high-intensity workout that also protects your body.
What do I do with them?
Lift them. Twist them. Slam them down. You can use them to target pretty much any muscle in your body. Add them into your normal routine for an extra challenge, or try one of these battle rope moves:
The Russian Twist
- Sit on the floor facing the ropes, with your knees bent towards your chest, and your feet together. Hold the ropes in both hands.
- Slam both ropes down over your legs to one side of your body. Lift them up and over your knees, and slam them down on the other side.
- Keep repeating as quickly as possible.
- Stand in a slight squat with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold the ropes together, in front of your thighs.
- Stand up straight and lift both ropes high above your head.
- Use your whole body to slam both ropes down onto the floor, bending your knees as you do.
- Stand in a slight squat position. Hold one rope in each hand.
- Keeping your spine in a neutral position, with your shoulders back and down, move your arms up and down as fast as possible to create a wave motion with the ropes.
Whether you want to look good for that big day, get in shape after a baby or do your bit for a good cause, your goals - and our expert Personal Trainers - will help you smash them.
clubs you'll want to call home
For a gym, swim and anything in between. Find your local club today.