Learning the ropes
What are they?
Giant, heavy ropes, usually anchored to the wall. Weighing up to 20kg, they work every muscle in your body and give you a killer cardio workout, with none of the strain of high-impact exercise.
What are they for?
Strengthening and toning your whole body – especially your abs, arms, shoulders legs – while giving your joints a break. And working your heart and lungs.
Who are they for?
Anyone looking for a muscle-building, calorie-melting, high-intensity workout that also protects your body.
What do I do with them?
Lift them. Twist them. Slam them down. You can use them to target pretty much any muscle in your body. Add them into your normal routine for an extra challenge, or try one of these battle rope moves:
The Russian Twist
- Sit on the floor facing the ropes, with your knees bent towards your chest, and your feet together. Hold the ropes in both hands.
- Slam both ropes down over your legs to one side of your body. Lift them up and over your knees, and slam them down on the other side.
- Keep repeating as quickly as possible.
- Stand in a slight squat with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold the ropes together, in front of your thighs.
- Stand up straight and lift both ropes high above your head.
- Use your whole body to slam both ropes down onto the floor, bending your knees as you do.
- Stand in a slight squat position. Hold one rope in each hand.
- Keeping your spine in a neutral position, with your shoulders back and down, move your arms up and down as fast as possible to create a wave motion with the ropes.
Whether you want to look good for that big day, get in shape after a baby or do your bit for a good cause, your goals - and our expert Personal Trainers will help you smash them.
Back & neck pain
Upper & lower limb problems
Rehabilitation pre & post surgery
Sprains & strains
Tennis/ golfer's elbow
How It Works
We always start with a health and fitness assessment; maybe you want to look good for a holiday, lose baby weight or get active again. Perhaps you're recovering from an injury. Our experts will tailor a training plan unique to you.
How we get you there?
Scheduling exercises keeps you on track. We'll show you the latest fitness innovations and how smart use of the gym makes most of your workouts. And we inject fun into fitness, so you'll enjoy working out even more.
Losing weight can be a frustrating process, but you don't have to do it alone. Our team of experts will show you the fastest, safest ways to get rid of that stubborn holiday stone while simultaneously helping you get stronger.
Barbican, Strand and Kensington are all available to members and non-members.