What is it?
TRX stands for Total Body Resistance Exercise. It’s suspension training that uses your body weight and gravity as resistance to build strength and fitness. Using a series of straps attached to a wall or frame, TRX was developed by a Navy SEAL as a way to stay in shape no matter where his job took him.
What’s it for?
Improving strength, balance, flexibility, coordination and core stability, all while building muscle. It gives a good cardio workout too – you’ll find your heart pounding after even a short session.
Who’s it for?
Absolutely anyone. The level of resistance and difficulty can be controlled by simply shifting your body position. Move away to increase the load; move closer to reduce it.
What do I do with it?
Squat, lunge, row, crunch… the beauty of TRX is its versatility. Here are a few things to get you started:
The Chest Press
- Take one handle in each hand, facing away from the TRX.
- Go onto the balls of your feet, keeping your arms out straight in front of you so the straps are just below your ears. Engage your core and keep your body aligned from heels to shoulders.
- Bend your elbows so that your body weight moves forward until your elbows are at a 90-degree angle.
- Push into the handles to straighten your arms, moving your body back to the start position.
The Kneeling Roll-Out
- Kneel on a mat facing away from the TRX, with straight arms and one handle in each hand just above shoulder level.
- Keep your abs tight and arms straight as you let your body roll forwards until your arms come up level with your ears, or as close as you can.
- with tight abs and straight arms, pull yourself back to the start position.
- Adjust the straps to knee level. Facing away from the TRX, put your feet in the handles.
- Get into a press-up position, keeping your abs engaged and eyes facing slightly forwards towards the floor.
- Bring your knees in towards your chest, squeezing your stomach as you do.
- Lengthen your legs back out to the start position. Repeat.
Whether you want to look good for that big day, get in shape after a baby or do your bit for a good cause, your goals - and our expert Personal Trainers will help you smash them.
Back & neck pain
Upper & lower limb problems
Rehabilitation pre & post surgery
Sprains & strains
Tennis/ golfer's elbow
How It Works
We always start with a health and fitness assessment; maybe you want to look good for a holiday, lose baby weight or get active again. Perhaps you're recovering from an injury. Our experts will tailor a training plan unique to you.
How we get you there?
Scheduling exercises keeps you on track. We'll show you the latest fitness innovations and how smart use of the gym makes most of your workouts. And we inject fun into fitness, so you'll enjoy working out even more.
Losing weight can be a frustrating process, but you don't have to do it alone. Our team of experts will show you the fastest, safest ways to get rid of that stubborn holiday stone while simultaneously helping you get stronger.
Barbican, Strand and Kensington are all available to members and non-members.